Shriners again.....
I am sitting at the Clarion after an evening of eating at Red Robin and going to Target...waiting for Will to get up so that we can go to Starbucks and then to the Shriners hospital. I am SO thankful for these routines with him and that he finds all of this fun and exciting still.
I remember the night Will was diagnosed with scoliosis. He was only 6 months old. It was my birthday and as I was nursing him I just cried and cried and cried. Why?? Why did this have to happen to my sweet sweet Will?
Now, I am thankful that Will was my child chosen to have this. If this was Raleigh who was having to do this...I'm afraid it would be a much different story. I don't think Ral would want all of the routine each time. He would want to stay at a different place, go to bigger and better restaurants, and do something "fun" each time. And then....there is the whole brace issue. If it was RALEIGH wearing the brace....oh my, part of me doesn't even want to imagine. I think the best way to describe it is : if it was Ral wearing the brace, he would make sure that we were just as miserable as he was everytime it was on. It would be a struggle. He would try to get out of it any way possible with lots of excuses. We'd probably have to get a straight jacket to go over it b/c I'm sure he would take it off nightly. That's just how Raleigh is..... :) and I love it!
Will, however, LOVES the routine of Greenville. Going to the same restaurant, going shopping, then going to the hotel is FUN for him! There is almost a pride in his voice when he tells people about going to the Shriners and his scoliosis. Im so happy that he isn't ashamed of it. I know that this may change as he gets older - but for now we "build it up" with him that he is special, his brace is cool, etc. etc. Probably the thing Im most thankful for is how well Will has done with his brace. Will NEVER complains about wearing it. Not even once. He never asks not to wear it at night,no matter what the situation. One night Will and Ral slept on their floor b/c they were afraid of the lightening. Just looking at Will on the hard floor in that brace made MY back hurt. I don't think the thought ever crossed his mind that he could have asked to take it off (or just removed it himself). I am already starting to "prep" him for getting casted again soon for a new brace. He is excited about the Buzz TV, staying at the Clarion and eating at Red Robin, and then the 2 days of fun, fun, fun whenever he is an inpatient for 2 days after his brace is made.
Blessed.
I know I still have moments of anxiety over Will's scoliosis. I still get upset and angry and even do the "Why Will" questioning.....
but for now I will say THANK YOU LORD that of my 2 children, Will is the one to have this.
Now, its off to Starbucks and the Shriners. We still have several traditions left to do this morning..and I know Will is going to be excited about each one :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home